Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Black Forest Brogurt for 20p - Mixed Berry Frozen Yogurt and No Butter Brownies

This recipe was a complete accident! I was having a bad day - the kind that only rich, dark, lush chocolate can put right, it was late evening and there was nothing sweet in the house so I grabbed a brownie recipe and set to making them while arguing with my ex (again) about why it would never work between us. I chucked the eggs in a bowl, beat the hell out of them with a whisk (rather than bashing my ex over the head with it) beat in the sugar, melted the chocolate then folded that in with the flour and cocoa. I banged it in the oven and left it to cook. It wasn't until the brownies were cooked that I realised I had forgotten the butter! I could tell straight away from the way the brownies looked but I couldn't remake them because I had used all the ingredients in this batch and I'm not into waste so i thought 'oh well' and ate one. Wow! I had just made the best brownies ever, rich, indulgent and chewy. The following day I thought ' I bet these taste great with that frozen berry yogurt I made the other day' and so Black Forest Brogurt was born.

Black Forest Brogurt for 20p - Mixed Berry Frozen Yogurt and No Butter Brownies

For The Frozen Yogurt - £1.95 (10p a scoop)

400g Frozen Mixed Berries - £1.30
500g Plain Yogurt - 45p
100ml Milk - 5p
1 Tbsp Runny Honey - 15p

Put the frozen berries into a food mixer (no need to defrost)
Add the yogurt and milk then blitz until smooth.
Stir through the honey adjusting to taste.
Put into a suitable freezable container and freeze for an hour.
Fork over then freeze overnight until solid.

Adding alcohol keeps the yogurt from freezing too hard making it easier to serve but adds to the cost.

For The Dark Chocolate Brownies - £1.83 (10p a square)

200g Dark Chocolate - 60p
3 Eggs - 39p
250g Dark Muscavado Sugar - 75p
40g S R Flour - 1p
10g Cocoa Powder - 8p

Preheat oven to 190 degrees or gas mark 5
Line a shallow square tin with greaseproof paper
Put the chocoalte in a bowl and sit the bowl over a pan of hot water on a low light (do not let the water boil) to melt the chocolate
While the chocolate is melting whisk the eggs until pale and fluffy the slowley add the muscovado sugar and whisk in until its all incorporated and the mixture has thickened.
Fold in the melted chocolate.
Fold in the sieved flour.
Carefully pour the batter into the lined tin and bake for 30 -35 minutes until the top forms a brownie crust.
Allow to cool and cut into 20 squares.

Serve with the mixed berry frozen yogurt for a fabulous black forest experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment